The microPMU is a synchrophasor that high speed records and streams real-time stamped data measurements of electricity, including voltage, current, and frequency, as phasors at different points on a utility electric grid transmission system. Use a synchrophasor for wide area measurement and control to understand complex and dynamic power grid applications in utility distribution grids and microgrids.
How our Synchrophasor Technology Works
Our microPMU works like a microscope with micro-second resolution and accuracy needed to understand the distribution of power grid applications. The microPMU data provides grid operators with a precise and high-resolution image and pmu measurements of the power grid in real-time.
Our microPMU takes PMU measurements at 30 observations per second. Each measurement is time-stamped according to a common time reference using GPS. The time-stamping of the measurements allows data from different locations and utilities to be time-aligned (synchronized) and combined together. This data provides a precise and complete overview of the entire gride interconnection.
This time-sensitive information helps to alert the grid operators to grid stress early on, potentially avoiding power outages and maintaining power quality.
The microPMU can be connected to voltages up to 48VAC, which makes it ideal for interfacing with low voltage output signals or medium voltage sensor output. It’s easy for system operators to install. It can be installed in electrical panels, on distribution poles, in pad mount transformers, and more.
The microPMU is also ideal for smart grid projects that need precise synchrophasor measurements to investigate grid stability problems and to answer questions on blockages.
Our product meets the standard of the US Department of Energy and also forms part of the North American Synchrophasor initiative.
- Precise phasor measurements: TVE 0.01%
- Connects to voltages up to 48VAC.
- Ideal for interfacing to MV sensor outputs, or low voltage output signals
- Simultaneous recording and streaming of synchrophasors
- Fast recording and streaming rate: 100/sec at 50Hz and 120/sec at 60Hz
- Voltage and current phasors, frequency, active / reactive powers, power factor
- Fully compatible with OpenPDC, and with our microPMU application software
- Records 30 days of synchrophasor data measurements, data is downloaded via FTP or web pages
- Free configuration and firmware updates
- Precise mode for grid stability analysis or low latency mode for control applications
- Easy to install in electrical panels, on power utility distribution poles, pad mount transformers
- Supports connections via PTs and CTs
- Fully isolated GPS receiver and antenna with cable delay
- Compliant with IEEE C37.118.1-2011 and C37.118.2-2011
- Protects equipment from harmonics caused by other equipment
- Increases operation reliability reducing maintenance costs
- Extends the lifetime of electrical equipment
- Provides additional capacity in an existing electrical network
- Eliminates the need for engineering analysis
- Reduces energy costs by lowering CO2 emissions
The basic system building blocks of an application are GPS satellite-synchronized clocks, phasor measurement units (PMUs), a phasor data concentrator (PDC), communications equipment, and visualization software. Some applications for the microPMU include:
- understanding of wide-area control
- system model validation
- determining stability margins
- maximizing stable system loading
- islanding and restoration detection
- transmission path and congestion management
system-wide disturbance recording
- observation of dynamic system responses
- resource integration
- real-time control applications using the IEEE C37.118.2-2011 protocol